Fedora Core 2 wishlists

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Tue Dec 9 16:45:20 UTC 2003

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003, Lamar Owen wrote:

> On Tuesday 09 December 2003 09:00 am, Chris Ricker wrote:
> > On Tue, 9 Dec 2003, Xose Vazquez Perez wrote:
> > >  o SPAM and virus are blight, spamassassin is a good tool to combat
> > >    spam, but it is necessary a filter like mailscanner, or amavis or...
> > >    to get a good mta/antivirus integration.
>
> > pointless w/o clamav (which is includable, but probably better Extras for
> > now)
>
> MailScanner can strip executables easily, doing basically everything
> MIMEdefang does and then some.  I found the installation extremely easy, even
> on an Aurora 1.0 SPARC box.  It does, however, override the default sendmail
> initscript, and starts both itself and sendmail in one initscript.  This
> might be a minor stumblingblock.  The way it's installer is distributed is
> alos not the Regular Way, being a tarball of source RPMs of a bunch of perl
> modules, an installer script (which rebuilds all of the Perl RPMs from source
> RPM, to get everything in the right place), and a binary RPM of the tnef
> code.  I had to track down and rebuild the tnef RPM for my SPARC box, but
> intel users don't have that problem.
>
> ClamAV is a nice addition to MailScanner, but 99% of e-mailed viruses are in
> executable attachments, which doesn't require an AV scanner to strip, which
> lessens the load on the mailserver.

I was referring more to amavis, which is only useful to include if you
include something for it to hook to (clamav, mimedefang, spamassassin, etc)

Mailscanner isn't includable for other reasons. For starters, it's not
usable with Postfix -- it directly grabs mail in the queue, which Postfix
forbids. Wietse doesn't support and frequently warns people not to use it
b/c it eats email, etc.

later,
chris