Fedora Core 2 wishlists

Michael K. Johnson johnsonm at redhat.com
Tue Dec 9 20:11:35 UTC 2003

On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 07:35:14PM +0100, Stephan Windischmann wrote:
> Can we get rid of sendmail and standardize on a different MTA, such as
> postfix? Sendmail should still be part of the distro, but not as a
> default MTA. It's way too difficult to configure, and security-wise, it
> doesn't compare that well to others.

Well, sendmail has not been so particularly bad in terms of security,
and it's a lot easier to configure now with m4 -- speaking as someone
who has written .cf files by hand from scratch.

Security-wise, it really hasn't done particularly worse than most daemons
in the recent past.

We can still have a discussion about the default mailer for new
installations.  We should probably do it in a different thread,
though -- I'm already getting beat up enough for starting such a
massive thread.  :-)

> Also, how about shipping with the Ximianized OOo? It looks much better
> than the default, and gives a better impression.

Check the archives, Dan is working on the gnomified OOo code base
along with Ximian folks.

michaelkjohnson

 http://people.redhat.com/johnsonm/lad/