Fedora Core 2 wishlists

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Tue Dec 9 20:37:43 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-09 at 16:35, Bill Rugolsky Jr. wrote:

> o Ext3 online fs growth (may get merged upstream ...)

This appeared in Arjan's 2.6 RPM, but I chose not to include
it in the rawhide kernel. The reasoning behind this was the
'Stay close to mainline' objective of Fedora.

At some point before FC2 beta1, decisions are going to have to be
made to decide how much we want to deviate away from this goal.
User feedback is an important factor here. A feature 1-2 people want
is far less likely to get included than something dozens of folks
are clamouring for.

> o Packet-writing (http://w1.894.telia.com/~u89404340/patches/packet/)

This one is unlikely. It's still not mature. See previous discussions
on this list.

> o OpenIPMI (http://openipmi.sourceforge.net)

IPMI is part of the standard 2.6 kernel already.

> o UML - a User-mode Linux kernel.

Would make a good subproject.

> Functional/Performance testing:
>
> o Regression Test suite.  Ideally, the user could chose to run
>   (non-)destructive tests, compare with earlier runs, and optionally
>   mail or POST the results (including a hardware description) to a central
>   database.

Someone else on this list (Xose?) suggested this, and I agree it'd be
good to have some stress test tools/regression suites. However I can't
help thinking that they'd belong more in Fedora extras.

> o Oprofile "service" for long-term profiling, config file in
>   /etc/sysconfig, etc., cron job to generate summaries, optionally mail
>   or POST to central database. [Need to consider privacy issues.]

SELinux interaction with oprofile is an interesting problem that needs
to be worked out.

> o CSSC - A base *nix install really ought to have SCCS-compatible tools,
>   and the latest version works with BitKeeper's enhanced format.

Sounds reasonable.

> Generally, I see no reason to burden Fedora Core with lots more packages.
> There can readily be "Best of Fedora Extras" CDs for the folks who don't
> have broadband and need to install huge packages.

It'd be good to have some yum.conf/up2date defaults for 3rd party
repositories included as standard too. Not all of them, but the more
popular ones such as fedora.us

	Dave

--
Dave Jones <davej at redhat.com>