Preemptible kernel in Fedora Core 2

Stan Bubrouski stan at ccs.neu.edu
Tue Dec 9 21:23:26 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-09 at 12:06, Ori Pessach wrote:

> If I understand you correctly, then the 2.6 kernel has lowlatency
> patches, but has the pre-emptable kernel disabled.

Aren't people still having some serious issues pre-empt?

> This is not what I've seen. In my experience, and also according to the
> Clark Williams paper, the biggest imporovement in scheduling latency
> comes from the lowlatency patches. The 2.6 kernels I tried (from the
> RPMs I mentioned earlier) had really bad scheduling latency when the
> pre-emptible kernel feature wasn't compiled in. They behaved just like
> the 2.4 kernel without lowlatency.

Wow I totally disagree with you here.  I've been using 2.6 for a couple
months now and it has _drastically_ improved latency.  Might I suggest
you are hitting some snags specific to your kernel/system?

> That means that the 2.6 kernel RPMs I've seen were useless for pro audio
> work without turning on the preemptible kernel.

Here again I disagree.  Maybe pre-empt would make it better, but as far
as multimedia and sound work go, again 2.6 is working awesome for me.
Have you tried recompiling the kernel yourself?  I'm not using a default
kerenl, perhaps a custom kernel minus some fluff would yield some etter
results?

> Am I missing something? Is the 2.6 kernel slated for inclusion in FC2
> different from the one available in
> http://people.redhat.com/arjanv/2.5/RPMS.kernel/ ?

Well the arjan's RPMs are kind of an incomplete set, I had to modify
numerous things in order to get my system working correctly, including
modify init scripts.  In FC2 I expect there will be much improved system
integration, etc...

> - --
> Ori Pessach

-sb