Fedora Core 2 wishlists

Karl DeBisschop kdebisschop at alert.infoplease.com
Wed Dec 10 12:03:58 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 03:36, =?ISO-8859-1?Q? Nils O. Sel=E5sdal?= wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-12-09 at 16:23, Karl DeBisschop wrote:

> > > I'd prefer not; the alternatives hack is something that should be
> > > severely limited in where it's used.
> >
> > Are there alternatives to alternatives?
> Could be done on the package(rpm) level.
> Making some packages contain the same file(s), and Conflicts: and a few
> more tricks. That will only allow one of several alternatives to be
> installed at the time though.

What I'm looking for is good OS support for choosing between application
suites when they are both installed. In the cases I'm concerned with,
avoiding file name conflicts is not too hard. But having both installed
at the same time is the primary object.

--
Karl DeBisschop <kdebisschop at alert.infoplease.com>