Change default MTA was Re: Fedora Core 2 wishlists

Ronny Buchmann ronny-vlug at vlugnet.org
Wed Dec 10 12:59:39 UTC 2003

MKJ wrote:
> Well, sendmail has not been so particularly bad in terms of security,
> and it's a lot easier to configure now with m4 -- speaking as someone
> who has written .cf files by hand from scratch.
>
> Security-wise, it really hasn't done particularly worse than most daemons
> in the recent past.
How do you come to this impression?

CVE lists 3 times postfix in the last three years (for postfix 1.x, *none* for 2.x)
sendmail has about 20 (several in 2003)!

> We can still have a discussion about the default mailer for new
> installations.  We should probably do it in a different thread,
> though -- I'm already getting beat up enough for starting such a
> massive thread.  :-)
Ok, this is a new thread...

I'm not a postfix advocate, but since I don't think I can make people switch to courier,
I would suggest postfix as the alternative.

But the important thing when doing this switch, is abandoning /var/spool/mail and using
$HOME/Maildir by default (with the mail clients accordingly configured).

/var/spool/mail (and mbox files in general) are even a bigger nightmare than sendmail.

--
http://linuxwiki.org/RonnyBuchmann