Fedora Core 2 wishlists

Stephen Tweedie sct at redhat.com
Wed Dec 10 16:43:13 UTC 2003

Hi,

On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 04:11, Carwyn Edwards wrote:
> Getting User Mode Linux back in (with tools) would make testing of
> future FC releases simpler. I for one don't have a spare machine at home
> to test test releases with (and at work there are other priorities).

I'm currently using qemu for this.  FC1 runs great under it, and using
VNC you can also get proper X logins running from within a qemu
sandbox.  I'm mostly running custom kernel builds with it but it will
boot a standard i686 kernel too.  I believe arjan has even got anaconda
running in it over VNC; we plan to put together a howto for that.

The last major upstream qemu release wasn't quite stable for me, but
recent CVS has been pretty solid.  I've got RPMS available at

http://people.redhat.com/sct/packages/

and see

http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/

for docs.  (In particular, see the bit about sudo: you'll need to set up
a sudoers entry for /etc/qemu-ifup if you want to be able to network the
virtual host.)

Cheers,
 Stephen