About Vera fonts (was: Fedora Core 2 wishlists)

Dax Kelson dax at gurulabs.com
Wed Dec 10 18:59:37 UTC 2003

On 11:21:17 am 12/10/03 Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:
> Julien Olivier (julo at altern.org) said:
> >  If we are more than 2 people thinking that Vera is really better than
> >  Nimbus/Luxi, is there a hope to see Fedora use them by default then
> >  (provided that there is a good solution to the coverage issue and to
> >  the fact that the serif oblique font doesn't work in OpenOffice) ?
>
> Solving the coverage issue is rather nontrivial though - good
> fontographers are hard to find.

How about BitStream? Might  they be interested in finishing the work they
started? Anyone have a contact?

On my laptop, the difference between Nimbus/Luxi and Vera is night and day.

In Evolution 1.4+, with the default fonts the contrast between unread
(bold) and read messages is not enough. With Vera it is terrific -- and
gorgeous.

Dax Kelson
Guru Labs