linux badly needs a standard sound daemon

Julien Olivier julo at altern.org
Fri Dec 12 13:09:00 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-12-12 at 05:15, Michael Kearey wrote:
> lupus wrote:
> > I'm tired of installing rpm's that ask me for artsd.
> > I think kde people are tired of getting esd not found errors to :)
> > So all desktop users profit from a standard sound daemon
> >
> > MAS or JACK looks like a good replacement
> >
> > But why isn't this happening? Is it to difficult to implement or isn't
> > there a decent replacement for esound and artsd?
>
> I beleive ALSA is in new 2.6 kernel (Instead of an add on), so perhaps
> that is where sound is headed ?

I don't think ALSA replaces the sound daemon. A sound daemon needs to
enable several apps to use the sound card (ALSA enables it for *some*
sound cards, but not all) and should enable network transparency (ALSA
doesn't help here).

As far as I understand it, there should be a cross-desktop sound daemon
using ALSA. But ALSA alone is not enough.

Or do I miss anything here ?

--
Julien Olivier <julo at altern.org>