linux badly needs a standard sound daemon

Stephen Smoogen smoogen at lanl.gov
Fri Dec 12 16:40:16 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 22:15, Michael Kearey wrote:
> lupus wrote:
> > I'm tired of installing rpm's that ask me for artsd.
> > I think kde people are tired of getting esd not found errors to :)
> > So all desktop users profit from a standard sound daemon
> >
> > MAS or JACK looks like a good replacement
> >
> > But why isn't this happening? Is it to difficult to implement or isn't
> > there a decent replacement for esound and artsd?
>
> I beleive ALSA is in new 2.6 kernel (Instead of an add on), so perhaps
> that is where sound is headed ?

ALSA is a set of low level drivers... it doesnt really know what the
user wants to do with them. A sound daemon is equivalent to gpm.. it
knows there is a mouse and inteprets the data to do various things.

I am hoping that one of these 3rd party groups is able to come up with a
good sound daemon that both GNOME/KDE can adopt.

Stephen John Smoogen		smoogen at lanl.gov
Los Alamos National Lab  CCN-5 Sched 5/40  PH: 4-0645