[OT] Re: Fedora Core 2 wishlists

Paul Jakma paul at dishone.st
Sun Dec 14 05:56:08 UTC 2003

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Daniel Roesen wrote:

> The HAL is provided in a binary-only form in order to comply with
> FCC regulations.  In particular, a radio transmitter can only be
> operated at power levels and on frequency channels for which it is
> approved.  The FCC requires that a software-defined radio cannot be
> configured by a user to operate outside the approved power levels
> and frequency channels. This makes it difficult to open-source code
> that enforces limits on the power levels, frequency channels and
> other parameters of the radio transmitter.

AIUI, there are plenty of 'hacks' available for the Windows binary
drivers to twiddle radio settings. Ie binary only is no protection /
this shouldnt be an impediment to open-source drivers.

> (understandable) FCC rules (and actually I guess german regulatory
> rules are quite similar in this regard)

Possibly. They were restrictive for ISDN at least, yet we still had
open-source drivers. The driver(s) were 'certified' and gave a
warning when loaded if they (it) suspected tampering/modification.

> Why Cyrus?
>
> It has:
> - a proprietary storage format (Courier uses Maildir)

not true. the message texts are per file. various indexes are kept in
configurable (and open) DB formats.

> Best regards,
> Daniel

regards,5A