SNMP detection of network printers

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Sun Dec 14 10:18:41 UTC 2003

In 0.6.84-1, redhat-config-printer gained the ability to use SNMP
queries to discover the make and model of a remote printer by name.
The idea is that, during the 'add queue' druid, after entering the
printer name on the JetDirect screen and clicking next the make, model
and driver fields are pre-filled.  This already works for
locally-connected printers whose IEEE 1284 IDs we know.

Unfortunately there is only one SNMP sysDescr string in the foomatic
database, so we could do with some more.

When you run redhat-config-printer and add a JetDirect queue, you will
probably see a message like this in .xsession-errors:

Trying to match 'Xerox DocuPrint N40 Network Laser Printer'
No SNMP match

It would be useful to know these strings, along with:

* the make and model of the printer (even if it looks obvious)
* which driver works best
* which other drivers also work
* whether PCL or PJL is supported

DON'T EMAIL THE LIST!  Email me personally, twaugh at redhat.com, or
(even better) file it in bugzilla against foomatic.

Thanks,
Tim.
*/