Change default MTA was Re: Fedora Core 2 wishlists

Sun Dec 14 11:36:28 UTC 2003

Le dim 14/12/2003 à 00:31, Gordon Messmer a écrit :
> Chris Ricker wrote:
> > On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Dax Kelson wrote:
> >
> >>MBOX would've have corrupted itself ten times over, turned the hard
> >>drives into molten hunks, and gobbled up RAM by the buckets.
> >
> > Nonsense.
> >
> > [kaboom at redfish kaboom]$ du Mail
> > 329248  Mail/storage
> > 1675579 Mail
> > [kaboom at redfish kaboom]$
> >
> > that's my mbox format email directory. No gobbled RAM, no molten hard
> > drives, no corrupted mailboxes in ~8 years of reading email out of that
> > directory, no need for hyperbole.
>
> OK, you haven't seen corruption.  I'd wager that's because the system is
> not a large, multi-user system and completes individual deliveries quickly.
>
> In any case, your evidence is anecdotal, not proof.  It doesn't mirror
> my own experience.  I've moved two companies to Maildir style delivery.
>   Both were previously using Slackware/Linux 2.0/sendmail/procmail.
> This combination was not only corrupting mailboxes, but corrupting the
> entire file system that the spools were on. (Damn Linux 2.0... Damn it
> to hell)
>
> The scalability problem with mbox is that any operation on the
> individual messages (deleting one, for instance) requires that the
> entire mbox be rebuilt.  That means if you have a 300MB spool and you
> delete a message, 300MB of data is read off the disk and then written
> back.  Get just a few hundred users doing this and you disk bandwidth is
> maxed out.
>
> Because of that, I think that mbox is highly inappropriate for volume
> servers.
>
> Single user desktops aren't such a big deal.  I can't think of any
> compelling advantage one way or the other.

*/5 * * * * (for mail in $(/usr/bin/find ~/.maildir/.Manual.Spam -type
f) ; do /usr/bin/sa-learn --spam --file $mail > /dev/null && /bin/rm
$mail ; done)

So any imap client can feed messages to sa-learn just by moving them to
a magic folder. I wouldn't even want to do it in shell on a lockless
mailbox.

Cheers,

--
Nicolas Mailhot