Change default MTA was Re: Fedora Core 2 wishlists

Nalin Dahyabhai nalin at redhat.com
Mon Dec 15 14:26:10 UTC 2003

On Sat, Dec 13, 2003 at 03:31:47PM -0800, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> In any case, your evidence is anecdotal, not proof.  It doesn't mirror
> my own experience.  I've moved two companies to Maildir style delivery.
> Both were previously using Slackware/Linux 2.0/sendmail/procmail.
> This combination was not only corrupting mailboxes, but corrupting the
> entire file system that the spools were on. (Damn Linux 2.0... Damn it
> to hell)

A quick note: mailbox corruption is frequently caused by programs
disagreeing on how to properly lock a mailbox file.  This is problematic
because we currently have two methods for locking files, and they don't
interoperate.  More on that in fcntl(2), flock(2), lockf(3), and the
kernel's Documentation/locks.txt file.

Cheers,

Nalin