fedora-devel not up-to-date with fedora-yarrow-updates? (please fix)

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Mon Dec 15 15:26:20 UTC 2003

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, Nalin Dahyabhai wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 01:07:21PM -0500, Chris Ricker wrote:
> > On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, Nalin Dahyabhai wrote:
> > > These are in testing still.  Once they're out of testing, I don't see a
> > > reason why they wouldn't end up in the development tree.
> >
> > That, at least to me, is confusing. I thought the idea was that stuff should
> > go
> >
> > development -> testing -> release
> >
> > not
> >
> > testing -> released
> >         -> development
> >
> > (I saw development as being less stable than testing)
>
> There is testing for updates (these packages) and testing for the
> distribution (the development tree).  In my mind, they *have* to be
> separate trees if you want testing of updates to be useful.
>
> Put another way, if you're testing an FC1 update, you test it for
> deployment on an FC1 box with previously-released updates installed
> because that's the type of system on which it will ultimately be
> required to function properly.  You don't test an FC1 update on an FC2
> development box, because environmental (in the general sense, not shell
> variable) differences can invalidate the testing.

That makes sense, and is what I thought testing was for. What seems odd is
that new revs of packages are showing up in testing for updates (testing)
before they show up in development. Even with what you're saying, I'd still
expect to see, for one example, postfix-2.0.16 in development before in
testing. As it is now, FC 1 shipped postfix-2.0.11, testing has had 2.0.16
since mid-November, and development had postfix-2.0.11 up until a day or so
ago. It seems odd that something would be considered suitable as an
potential update (testing) before being considered suitable for the next
release (development).

later,
chris