Change default MTA was Re: Fedora Core 2 wishlists

Nalin Dahyabhai nalin at redhat.com
Mon Dec 15 15:36:35 UTC 2003

On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 04:11:58PM +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le lun 15/12/2003 à 15:36, =?ISO-8859-1?Q? Nils O. Sel=E5sdal?= a
> > Is it _that_ hard changing applications to use lockf (or fcntl) ?
> > To me it sounds like one could go through all mail applications in
> > fedora and just make them use one of them (I'm guessing there is more to
> > it that that...). Or is the problem more for 3.party apps/not shipped
> > with fedora ?
>
> You might as well audit for maildir compliance and move to a safer
> format. The *only* argument for mailbox is "everything already works" -
> if you have to check apps what's the point ?

I *really* didn't want to veer into discussing why I prefer one format
over another, or why everybody else who reads this should agree with me
BECAUSE I'M RIGHT AND YOU'RE WRONG, THAT'S WHY, but....  no wait, I'll
just stop there.  Maybe I prefer maildir, maybe I don't.

Getting back to locking, you've got two methods.  This can apply to any
application which locks any file -- I guess mail spools are just high on
the list of files which are locked by and read from and written to by
multiple code bases.

Cheers,

Nalin

P.S.  This is not intended to single you out, Nicolas.
      I just find it hard to get as emotional about this sort of thing
      as others in this thread appear to have gotten.  :) Kicking
      puppies?  Yeah, I'm against that.  World peace?  For it.  Ice
      cream and pie for everyone?  The lactose-intolerant and allergic
      will be excused, but for the rest of you, YOU WILL EAT THE PIE,
      AND YOU WILL PRONOUNCE IT SWEET AND TASTY.  GOT THAT?