FC1 Support for *relative* new hardware

Michael K. Johnson johnsonm at redhat.com
Mon Dec 15 19:04:16 UTC 2003

On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 05:54:40AM +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> I think we need updates more ofter in these areas, or even better, a
> special repository that contains not-so-well testet updates that support
> newer hardware. This is IMHO better than not be able to run linux
> because of lack of hardware support.
>
> No, not rawhide, this is IMHO a bit to bleeding edge -- if heavier
> changes are ongoing there a simple rebuild of the SRPM on the current
> stable release sometimes is not that easy (or so it was in the past with
> RHL). And this is nothing a unexperienced linux user is able to do when
> he want to try linux on his brand new pc/printer/graphics card.

This place is called updates/testing -- where we test updates before
pushing them out finally.

Now, in terms of doing the work needed to push out updates, you want to
work with the package maintainer on that.

> Printers are a good example where I can give a nice example (but I can
> give you many more). Fedora is only one and a half month old but if I
> (for example) go to the web-page of a major german distributor and
> search for a photo-printer from HP I find six different photosmart
> models from 89 up to 329 Euros. But none of them is supported by FC1!
> They exchanged all older models shortly after or in parallel with the
> FC1 release. So they are not supported directly on FC1 (yes, some of the
> old drivers will work -- but a new linux user will fail at this point).

Excellent example -- and you volunteered to help...  I'm guessing this
really just requires foomatic and maybe printer driver updates?

michaelkjohnson

 http://people.redhat.com/johnsonm/lad/