netplug [was Re: Automatically bringing ethernet interfaces up when the cableis connected]

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Mon Dec 15 19:19:11 UTC 2003

David Zeuthen (david at fubar.dk) said:
> You would probably want something more sophisticated sitting between
> apps like mozilla and network interfaces from the kernel; for instance
> some network connections may be served via userspace and others need to
> be brought up by a dialer.

You can't really do hotplug with something like dialup, unless you want
to bring it up whenever you see a device capable of dialup being
attached (which sounds like the wrong solution.) You *can* do dial
on demand, though - there's already support for this.

> There was a good proposal on networking profiles on the freedesktop
> mailing list here
>
>  http://listman.redhat.com/archives/xdg-list/2003-October/msg00006.html
>
> some time ago, but I don't know what happened since.

Most all of the technology in that mail exists today; the only
thing that doesn't is application blacklist/whitelists.

Bill