FC2 initial schedule posted

Stephen Smoogen smoogen at lanl.gov
Mon Dec 15 22:47:16 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-15 at 15:23, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-12-15 at 15:07, Chris Funderburg wrote:
>
> > So, how realistic
> > is that for FC2 and how much work will it take?  If  (eventually) it
> > gets into FC,
> > will it then go into the next RedHat Enterprise?
>
> I wouldn't hold my breath. For either of them. If it happens, I'll be
> absolutely impressed, and I'm willing to help as much as I can to get
> Fedora SPARC to that point, but RHEL is a market driven product, as
> opposed to Fedora Core. I have never seen a serious market for
> Linux/SPARC.

Long ago, in a state far far away, there was a small group of rebels
doing technical support for Red Hat Linux (boxed set). Due to the fact
that I had mostly used a Sparc for many years.. (and had the old
assembly books for it) I got to be the support technician for it. The
apocryphal numbers for 4.2 to 5.2 were something like this

For every 100 box sets of Intel we sold, we sold 1 alpha.
For every 100 box sets of Alpha we sold, we sold 1 sparc.

For every 100 box sets of Intel we sold, we got 1 support request
For every 100 box sets of Alpha we sold, we got 100 support requests
For every 100 box sets of Sparc we sold, we got 100 support requests

That made SPARC the costliest to support and the least driven by demand.
Many of the problems involved things like getting parallel printers to
work with some 3rd party SBUS card and similar things. Most of the
people at that time were from academic institutions who are frankly not
going to buy anything above a $40.00 box set if they cant get the ISO
and some grad student to do it for them.

Stephen John Smoogen		smoogen at lanl.gov
Los Alamos National Lab  CCN-5 Sched 5/40  PH: 4-0645