[OT] Re: Fedora Core 2 wishlists

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Tue Dec 16 00:05:48 UTC 2003

On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 09:02:48AM -0800, Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
> > OK, let me rephrase: which MUA can I use to easily edit the mailboxes
> > of a Cyrus user?
>
> I don't know what you mean by "edit the mailboxes",

Accessing the mailboxes via filesystem, viewing/deleting/copying/etc.
mails in them without having an operational IMAP/POP server. Something
a mail system admin might need to do.

With Maildir, I can use pretty much every somewhat modern MUA like mutt.

> but if you want to
> create and destroy mailboxes, move messages around, and so on, Evolution
> works OK with Cyrus for these kinds of tasks.

Yeah, but for you own user and via IMAP4. Mail server storage format
becomes especially important if this is not available for whatever
reasons.

I've seen more than one IMAP/POP server having bugs where special
mails in their mailboxes made the daemon dying when user tries to
access his mailbox. Then the admin needs to identify and isolate/
delete the "offending" mail manually, without IMAP/POP. There, you
want to use your command line MUA. :-)

Regards,
Daniel