2.6 kernel

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Tue Dec 16 18:02:18 UTC 2003

Jeremy Katz wrote :

> On Tue, 2003-12-16 at 11:15, Gene C. wrote:
> >  Since I suspect it is the 2.6 kernel and did not find anything in
> >  bugzilla
> > which could possible be this problem, I thought I would give the 2.6
> > kernel from ~arjanv a try.
> >
> > But there is a lot more there than just kernel + modutils ... such a
> > initscripts, device-mapper, etc.
>
> device-mapper, etc are really just needed if you're using lvm.  But
> installing them shouldn't hurt anything.

Speaking of device-mapper : With a FC1 system w/ Arjan's 2.6 kernel and
related packages, I managed to not have the main /dev/mapper/control node
to get device mapper working (where or when is it created?) nor did the
dm_mod kernel module get automatically loaded when I started trying to set
up the lvm2 volumes.

It was very confusing and I had to hunt down all the way into the "scripts"
directory of the pristine sources of device-mapper, which I got from the
source rpm, in order to get the major/minor numbers I needed to create the
file myself (/etc/makedev.d doesn't know about it either).

[root at sk8 root]# ls -l /dev/mapper/control
crw-------  1 root root 10, 63 Dec 14 09:03 /dev/mapper/control

As for the dm_mod kernel module not being loaded, could it be that some
entries in /etc/modprobe.conf.dist are missing?

Matthias

Fedora Core release 1 (Yarrow) - Linux kernel 2.4.22-1.2132.nptl
Load : 0.64 0.85 0.98