Fedora Core 2 wishlists

Brent Fox bfox at redhat.com
Wed Dec 17 20:41:57 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-12-17 at 05:57, Colin Charles wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 21:21, Brent Fox wrote:
>
> > /me points to Fedora Core Objective #1 at
> > http://fedora.redhat.com/about/objectives.html:
> >
> > "Create a complete general-purpose operating system with capabilities
> > equivalent to competing operating systems..."
> >
> > In my opinion, targeting old machines with low ram is more of a
> > special-purpose task and is outside the scope of Objective #1.  Seems
> > like it would be better suited to a Fedora sub-project.
>
> This is where you're greatly mistaken, and comments like this tend to
> make people push Debian or Slackware for older machines (and their
> servers.)
>
> We should not get rid of the user group of folk with older PCs.
> Developing countries will tend to use Fedora (since they can't afford
> RHEL), and will usually have older hardware. These people tend to hear
> of Red Hat, and will of course benefit greatly from Fedora. Don't chase
> them away...

I never said anything about chasing anybody away.  All I suggested was
that perhaps machines with this level of computing power could be better
served by a Fedora sub-project as opposed to the main project.  It could
still be under the Fedora banner, just not the main trunk.

But anyway, I'm not speaking in any official capacity about the future
of Fedora...I'm just giving one developer's opinion.  I do, however,
feel that it is wise to accept that one distribution cannot satisfy all
classes of machines and users.

Cheers,
    Brent