AFPL Ghostscript

Michael K. Johnson johnsonm at redhat.com
Wed Dec 17 21:17:52 UTC 2003

On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 05:30:08PM +0100, Farkas Levente wrote:
> "Versions entitled "AFPL Ghostscript", or older versions called "Aladdin
> Ghostscript"), are distributed with a license called the Aladdin Free
> Public License that allows free use, copying, and distribution by end
> users, but does not allow commercial distribution. "
> which means (in my read) that in can be put into fedora since it's not
> ditributed commercialy.
> is this true?

Not really -- the objective for Fedora is 100% Open Source, an a restriction
on commercial redistribution isn't compatible with Open Source.

So even if no one was shipping disks (look at the Downloads->Vendors page
on the fedora web site to see that this isn't true) it still would not
be an option.

No disrespect to the Aladdin folks intended or implied!  They could set
up a third-party repository with FC-compatible AFPL Ghostscript so that
users could easily use their packages; that kind of third-party ease of
installation is something that is important in Fedora.

michaelkjohnson

 http://people.redhat.com/johnsonm/lad/