SNMP detection of network printers, part 2

Gene C. czar at czarc.net
Thu Dec 18 11:10:25 UTC 2003

On Thursday 18 December 2003 04:58, Tim Waugh wrote:
> The redhat-config-printer package is now renamed
> system-config-printer, and now has properly-working SNMP detection
> support.
>
> Please try it out.  After going to add a JetDirect printer look in
> .xsession-errors to see what SNMP or IEEE 1284 IDs were missing from
> the foomatic database. (If they aren't missing, your printer make and
> model should be correctly identified in the graphical interface.)

OK, downloaded foomatic-3.0.0-13, PyXML-0.8.3-2m and
system-config-printer-0.6.88-1 src rpms and rebuilt on a FC1 system.
Installed them and ran the printer configuration.  Selected JetDirect and my
HP 4000 printer.  Got:

No IEEE 1284 match: {'model': 'HP LaserJet 4000 Series', 'description':
'Hewlett-Packard LaserJet 4000 Series', 'cmdset':
'PJL,MLC,PCL,PCLXL,POSTSCRIPT', 'manufacturer': 'Hewlett-Packard'}
No SNMP match: 'HP LaserJet 4000 Series'

--
Gene