SNMP detection of network printers, part 2

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Thu Dec 18 13:11:39 UTC 2003

On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 07:43:38AM -0500, Gene C. wrote:

> Mmmm... I had not realized how "browsed queues" worked.  Nice!

Maybe that ought to be more obvious then, somehow.

> Question though:  How do you reference a non-default browsed queue?  For
> example, given three systems.  Two have cups shared queues with exactly the
> same names.  From a third system, how do you differentiate? [such as when
> using the a2ps command].

I think you just use 'queue at host' for the queue name.  When the local
cupsd sees two remote queues with the same name it creates aliases.  I
think it even round-robins if you omit the hostname too; but I could
be misremembering.

> > For lpd, I've no idea how to find out more about the printer.  And
> > again: where is filtration generally done?  Maybe 'Generic PostScript'
> > is a good default for that too.
>
> Too bad you can't get info.  I agree that generic postscript should be the
> default.

The default in which case?

* lpd?  Is the remote system normally where PostScript conversion
  takes place?

* whenever we don't know otherwise?

> > It might even be worth skipping the 'select printer model' screen
> > altogether in that case, since we are sure which one it is.  What do
> > you think?
>
> For most situations that should work but there is bound to be some oddball
> situation.  If you can go back and edit a defined printer to select what you
> want, then that should work.

You can, but perhaps it would be best to leave the screen in, as it is
now.

> Another thought ... now I prefer postscript and my printer supports both
> postscript and PCL.  What about the individual who prefers PCL?

You can edit the queue after you create it.  We try to keep queue
creation simple, so that you get something that works without having
to answer too many questions.

Tim.
*/