SNMP detection of network printers, part 2

Gene C. czar at czarc.net
Thu Dec 18 16:00:38 UTC 2003

On Thursday 18 December 2003 08:11, Tim Waugh wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 07:43:38AM -0500, Gene C. wrote:
[snip]
> > Question though:  How do you reference a non-default browsed queue?  For
> > example, given three systems.  Two have cups shared queues with exactly
> > the same names.  From a third system, how do you differentiate? [such as
> > when using the a2ps command].
>
> I think you just use 'queue at host' for the queue name.  When the local
> cupsd sees two remote queues with the same name it creates aliases.  I
> think it even round-robins if you omit the hostname too; but I could
> be misremembering.

OK, I played around a bit and here is what I found ...

Three systems ... two with cups servers and the third is a "client" (running
the new s-c-printer).

When both servers have the same queue name, only the first one (lowest ip) is
seen ... even if the other one was configured first.  With different queue
names, I can "see" both (both with s-c-printer and doing lpstat -a).

Doing lpq -P printer at systems.name
results in:
lpq: Unknown destination "printer at system.name"

but doing lpq -P printer
results in:
printer is ready
no entries

Given this I assume that queue names must be unque within a given "cups
network".

I checked some of the cups documentation and what I could find indicated that
printer at server should work... it does not ... or maybe I do not understand
what I need to do.

[snip]

--
Gene