Fedora Core 2 wishlists

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Thu Dec 18 16:24:48 UTC 2003

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003, Tom Diehl wrote:

> > > Pine have supported UTF-8 with a little patch. Pine is used by me on my
> > > Fedora and I want to see it on Linux.
> >
> > That's nice. Then you can package it up for yourself. But 1. it's not
> > allowed to be redistributed in that way 2. it's got some other issues
> > that the pkg maintainer from red hat has worried with.
> >
> > it's best if pine goes away.
>
> Maybe but the real problem is that there is no replacment for it.
>
> And no mutt is not a replacment. It is too different and too hard to
> configure. That is one of the strengths of pine it is simple to setup and
> use. Mutt is not intuitive at all. At least not for me.
>
> Apparently there are other people who agree with me or pine would have died
> a long time ago.

Indeed. I've tried to get used to mutt several times over the years, with
and without "pine-keybindings" which really bring it zero closer to pine,
only add to the confusion (at least did that for me).

Been trying to get used to Evolution since I bought a box which doesn't
choke on it in the spring: I still don't *like* because of various little
(and some bigger) details it doesn't do "right" (for me). Problem is,
Evolution is not an option when reading mails remotely, still need to go
back to pine for that, daily (and don't bother suggesting webmail
solution, I *hate* those).

Pine's far from perfect, especially in these days of UTF-8, but it's hard
to unlearn habits from 9 years of usage :-/

	- Panu -