Fedora Core 2 wishlists

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Thu Dec 18 16:46:12 UTC 2003

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003, Jesse Keating wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-12-18 at 07:08, seth vidal wrote:
> > That's nice. Then you can package it up for yourself. But 1. it's not
> > allowed to be redistributed in that way 2. it's got some other issues
> > that the pkg maintainer from red hat has worried with.
>
> Hrm, Mike Harris seems to disagree with that statement (on IRC).  Can
> you show me where in the pine license it states you can't redistribute
> patched binaries?

See the FAQ, esp. section 10.1:

  10.1 Is Pine Open Source?

  It depends on how that term is defined. Source for Unix Pine is
  provided to allow users and system administrators to customize and
  adapt Pine for their own requirements. UW's Pine license allows
  anyone to download source code for Unix Pine and make modifications
  for their own local use without asking permission. Anyone can also
  create and distribute patch files to implement bug fixes or minor
  enhancements without asking permission. However, redistribution of a
  modified version of Pine requires explicit permission from the
  University of Washington.

  [http://www.washington.edu/pine/faq/legal.html]

--Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com>