Excessive package interdependency

Jef Spaleta jspaleta at princeton.edu
Thu Dec 18 17:44:42 UTC 2003

Tyler larson wrote:
> This is obviously wrong, but is still the only option we currently have.
> I think Aurelien's suggestion about a "Recommends" or "Suggests" list in
> addition to "Requires" would make a lot more sense

Doing anything like Suggests/Recommends correctly would take a HELL of a
lot more package testing in order to do correctly. How does a packager
really know that a linked library is not a required dependancy to
prevent the program from running in most/all usage cases?

ldd /usr/bin/mc

How does the packager know which of those libraries are not true
dependancies? I think we are talking about an order of magnitude more
testing to get Suggests/Recommends to work reliably correctly.

-jef