Excessive package interdependency

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Thu Dec 18 21:42:36 UTC 2003

Once upon a time, Alan Cox <alan at redhat.com> said:
> You also want to remember bundles (or guess them for old setups), so that
> you can say "has gnome" ok now in FC2 gnome has added x and y, stick up a
> "The package groups you have selected have been expanded in this release,
>  shall I also installl..."

If there was a "Gnome-Package-fc1-1.rpm" that provided nothing but
"GNOME" and required all the core gnome RPMs, then when FC2 came out and
"Gnome-Package-fc2-1.rpm" required the new set of core gnome RPMs, this
would be automatic (then there could be Gnome-Games, Gnome-Apps,
Gnome-Devel, KDE, KDE-Apps, etc.).

I know the "virtual package" idea has been tossed around before.  I
think it is a good idea; it handles this without additional software or
config files or anything.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>