pine cone - Re: Fedora Core 2 wishlists

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Thu Dec 18 22:02:16 UTC 2003

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003, Chris Ricker wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Dec 2003, Edward S. Marshall wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 12:45:51PM -0500, Chris Ricker wrote:
> > > For long-time pine users (or at least this one), it's no more suitable than
> > > mutt....
> >
> > As in, it's not an exact replacement, no.
>
> Right. But if you're a long-term pine user, you're likely still using it
> because you're deeply used to the keystrokes (which are different in cone).
> If you're going to bother to learn new keystrokes, you might as well just go
> for mutt which is:
>
> 0. already in the distro, and widely found elsewhere
> 1. easier to build elsewhere, if it's not already there
> 2. smaller
> 3. more stable

That depends on just how hard it is to configure. I fought with mutt to try to
understand it and get it to do some of the thing I am used to in pine. I gave
up after several days. If I can get something else to do what I want easially
I think it would be better for me even if I need to learn new keystrokes.

I wonder if there are rpms for cone??

> cone's a good choice for people needing an easy-to-pickup text MUA to start
> with....

This is where mutt fails miserably. It is too hard to configure and the docs
do a poor job of explaining how to config it. I have used pine for ~10 years
and I very seldom if ever have read the docs for it. Even with its warts it
just kinda works.