XFS in Fedora Core 2

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Fri Dec 19 06:03:57 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-12-18 at 20:35, Florin Andrei wrote:
> - how about userland XFS support? (the XFS utilities required for
> formatting, dumping/restoring, etc.)

If the kernel side is there, there's not much reason not to build the
utilities...  I'll try to throw them into rawhide this weekend.

> - how about support in the installer? (anaconda)

The code has basically been in anaconda for ages now, just lacking all
of the other support pieces like the kernel and userspace tools.  Well,
and without those pieces, it's been untested so there are likely weird
things lurking ;)

> And finally, is there any reason to hide so cautiously the other
> filesystems in the installer? A regular user would never find them,
> because everything is hidden unless arcane options are passed to the
> bootloader.
> Wouldn't be simpler to just list the supported file systems all together
> in Disk Druid?

Simpler, maybe, but it greatly increases the testing matrix.  Right now,
it's easy enough for me to pass off problems with a "it's hidden for a
reason, if you use it and it breaks, sorry".  The other problem has
traditionally been that the kernel team was against "supporting" other
filesystems -- with Fedora, this picture changes a little, but I'd still
want buy-in from davej before doing it.

So, I'm not necessarily against the idea, but it does have implications
on testing and "support" that make me a little uneasy.

Jeremy