Yet another futuristic wishlist item

Thomas Hille thomas.hille at nightsabers.org
Fri Dec 19 12:50:10 UTC 2003

Am Do, den 18.12.2003 schrieb Miloslav Trmac um 16:29:
> On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 03:45:56PM -0500, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> > Can't we change the default partition labels from "/", "/home",
> > ... to something like "mces:/", "mces:/home", ... where "mces" is
> > the machine name?  It would reduce the glitch when connecting two
> > hard disks both with FC installed to a single machine.
> We have only 16 characters in the label. That can be tight even
> without the hostname.
> 	Mirek

Nevertheless this is an issue. Some days ago I installed the hd of
another pc into my own. But fc mounts the last "/" partition it finds -
ie on the highest drive. That is obviously always the wrong in the case
when there are two. The only way to avoid mounting the wrong partition
was to remove all that labeling stuff and use plain /dev/hda1 style
entries in the fstab.

Maybe we should drop using labels at all? To be honest I don't know what
they are good for anyway. Or instead of using the hostname use a random
number? Other suggestions maybe?

-Thomas-