Yet another futuristic wishlist item

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Fri Dec 19 22:28:39 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-12-19 at 13:50 +0100, Thomas Hille wrote:
> Maybe we should drop using labels at all? To be honest I don't know what
> they are good for anyway. Or instead of using the hostname use a random
> number? Other suggestions maybe?

Labels allow your disks to change naming without requiring changes to
your fstab, etc.  This is really handy on boxes with lots of SCSI
devices, less so if you're just using IDE.

Alternatively to labels, there are also UUIDs for most filesystems.  But
I'd rather have "LABEL=/" in my fstab than "UUID=c96d9cfa-f2fd-49d2-
b6e6-c70f2885bab9" :-)

That said, there is the potential to do some things to help the cases
where duplicate labels exist, both in anaconda and in the rest of
userspace.

Cheers,

Jeremy