XFS in Fedora Core 2

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Sat Dec 20 00:29:11 UTC 2003

On Sat, Dec 20, 2003 at 12:11:03AM +0100, Xose Vazquez Perez wrote:
> nor ext3:
>
> "ReiserFS V3 in the official kernel is much more stable than ext3 for a simple
> reason: we shipped first, and had longer to stabilize. I would say that
> historically we have always been more stable than ext3 was at the same moment
> in time in the official kernel, but that both filesystems were unstable in their
> beginnings."

ext3 was very stable in 2.2 as an add on well before 2.4 came out (in fact
ftp.linux.org.uk ran ext3 2.2 for a very long time solidly).

All this will hopefully get easier with both 2.6 and Fedora. The 2.6 kernel cuts
down a lot on Red Hat patching so its easier to pull in updates safely, while the
2.4 RH tree has chunks of 2.6 stuff in it which make life more interesting.

The Fedora/RH split for the enterprise also means that the people we have to do
rock solid 24x7 support for (who want absolute stability) and the people who want
to play with xfs, reiserfs , whatever are now different things altogether.