partitioning bug during install: RH8/9 FC1

Trae McCombs occy at occy.net
Sun Dec 21 16:33:59 UTC 2003

Hey gang,

This has bugged me for eons, and I'm just now getting around to
rant^Wemailing the list about it.

>From my experience, Windows wants to be on the first drive of a system.
/dev/hda1 (or /dev/sda1).  The problem I run into is when I'm trying to
slice up the drive is...  I typically (bad or not, not looking for
flames on how I'm setting up the drive) do the following:

/dev/hda1 windows 2000 /windows
/dev/hda2 linux /
/dev/hda3 swap

[I know some people say put swap at the beginning of the drive...]

Anyhoo, the problem is when you create a partition of a smaller size for
/dev/hda1 than is for /dev/hda2, cfdisk, or whatever the GUI fdisk tool
is, will re-arrange the partitions every single time.  meaning, it puts
the root partition / as /dev/hda1 and puts windows /windows as /dev/hda2
even though I've specified the direct opposite.

I've noticed this behavior since as far back as RH8.0 I believe.

Anyone else notice this?
I'm sure this probably doesn't need to go to this list, but I couldn't
think of a better one to send it to.

Trae

PS. Why did we stop including regular fdisk?  It's nice to be able to
use this tool from time to time.  Just put a button with "Experts Only"
or something and pop up a warning telling people they are entering a
world of hurt if they don't know what they are doing with the fdisk
tool.

--
Trae "occy" McCombs
http://occy.net/