XFS in Fedora Core 2

Jef Spaleta jspaleta at princeton.edu
Sun Dec 21 21:28:56 UTC 2003

Chris Ricker:

> I disagree. This is Fedora. Nothing's supported, and labelling some
> "unsupported"  suggests the rest are supported.

the scope and definition of what "support" means are both ill-defined
for the purposes of any rational discussion surrounding fedora
development issues.  Let's see...what are we actually trying to say
here.....that the current fedora development resources (ie redhat
manhours being spent) on low level kernel issues like filesystem
maintenance/development is a limited resource, and can not rationally be
divided across extra filesystems without a degradation of quality in
view of the current in house developers. And its too important, too low
level, to be considered something that you can realistically tack on as
an 'extra' application to toy with.

Maybe the better word to use is 'maintained' instead of 'supported.'
I think the red hat developers have been clear about this so far in the
list. If the upstream maintainers are willing to commit to following up
on bugs generated through the fedora development/testing/usage process
then there is room for extended the visibility of those filesystems to
end-users. As it stands...if fedora developers do not have the time to
maintain and deal with the generated bugs, its definitely not a good
idea to encourage average joe user to use those optional filesystems by
making them point and click accessible. How prominent and easy to access
a feature is... is a trade-off between development/maintenance
constraints and end-user flexibility.  Its one thing to provide an
unmaintained feature that experienced users know they need and are
prepared to configure for themselves via hand configuration and
self-troubleshooting. It's a totally different thing to encourage
people, who do not necessarily know what they want or what is best for
them and just like pointing and clicky to try stuff out, to use features
that unmaintained and the fedora developers do not have the time to make
it a priority to followup on.

-jef