problems with dev rpm

Paul Nasrat pauln at truemesh.com
Mon Dec 22 17:15:18 UTC 2003

On Mon, Dec 22, 2003 at 12:07:38PM -0500, Stan Bubrouski wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-12-22 at 11:49, Karl DeBisschop wrote:
> > The dev RPM in the development tree (dev-3.3.9-2.i386.rpm) seems to very
> > reliably crash my test machine. Is anyone else seeing this sort of
> > behavior?

> > kernel-2.6.0-0.1.14.i686.rpm is installed, everything else from the
> > development tree seems to be up-to-date and working fine for me. But any
> > attempt to install dev presents me with a long trace, and a totally hung
> > machine.

> Problems with rpm, dev, ... in the development is making me scared to
> put it on a new partition.

Rawhide is prone to breakage - run fc1 and wait for the beta/test releases if
you are concerned.

> Karl some people complained of rpm not
> functioning correctly in the dev tree, are you quite sure the package is
> getting fully installed and all that?

No this is the dev package - I just repro'd here I'll try and get more data.
FWIW it's just oopsed here after a manual rpm -Uvvvh. Hopefully in logs.

> Also does anyone know if the rpm problems some people were having in the
> dev tree have been corrected or were they isolated incidents?

The rpm issues were db4 backend changes and two different versions of the same nevr rpm package hanging about.  The rpmdb_stat wasn't available so that the %post script

Competely different

Paul