MAS is finally added to freedesktop.org!!

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed Dec 24 12:27:32 UTC 2003

Kristof vansant wrote:
> I guess this will be the standard sound daemon soon ;)
>
> Is someone willing to make a package for this ?
>
> http://www.freedesktop.org/Software/Home
>
> PS: HAL 0.2 is released
>
> Lupus (Kristof Vansant)

"None of this is "endorsed" by anyone or implied to be standard
software, remember that freedesktop.org is a collaboration forum, so
anyone is encouraged to host stuff here if it's on-topic."

I assume this means that they are giving MAS a chance to get more
exposure in the Open Source community.  We all agree that a unified
sound daemon is crucial for our eventual world domination, but there are
competing implementations like gstreamer that already have heavy backing
and momentum from many of the same people who make our software (like
GNOME).  It worries me if the KDE folks would accept a gstreamer
standard... if only for the emotional reason of it beginning with 'g'.

In reality I personally know nothing about the technical correctness,
completeness,  license compatibility, or overall viability of any of the
options.  All I know is that multiple and incompatible standards are
HURTING us.  The current esd vs arts situation is poor, and we need a
better unified solution if we are ever to win.

Warren