MAS is finally added to freedesktop.org!!

Gerald Henriksen ghenriks at rogers.com
Wed Dec 24 17:16:53 UTC 2003

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 02:27:32 -1000, you wrote:

>I assume this means that they are giving MAS a chance to get more
>exposure in the Open Source community.  We all agree that a unified
>sound daemon is crucial for our eventual world domination, but there are
>competing implementations like gstreamer that already have heavy backing

>From the gstreamer FAQ
http://gstreamer.net/docs/cvs/faq/html/chapter-general.html

Q:

Is GStreamer a sound server ?

No, GStreamer is not a soundserver. GStreamer does however have
plugins supporting most of the major soundservers available today,
including ESD, aRTSd, and to some extent Jack. Support for MAS is also
planned.

Therefore there is no reason both Gnome and KDE couldn't move to MAS
if MAS will do the job that esd/arts currently do.