Cleaning up "Preferred Applications" & Desktop Consistency

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed Dec 24 20:56:05 UTC 2003

Simon Perreault wrote:

> Some "unification" keybindings were decided against, because they were in fact
> disrupting the unification of KDE as a whole. For eaxmple, CTRL-wheel was
> proposed as a zoom control, like many other browsers do. But this was
> rejected because in every Qt app, CTRL-wheel works like page up/page down.

This seems like broken logic to me, IMHO because by definition browsers
are different from all other applications, and users expect a browser to
behave in a similar way from what they are used to.  The argument of
"unification within KDE" seems to me like a continuance of the divide
between the two camps, which only hurts us.

Not nearly as bad as the arts vs. esd problem though.

Anyhow, I didn't expect that KDE would accept all of our unification
ideas, but only the less controversial ones that don't conflict.  I am
unwilling to fight the emotional & political battles.

> The point is: you might be tempted to unify Konqueror with other browsers, but
> don't forget that you will probably be breaking unification within KDE. So
> your best bet is to CC: every change to kde-usability at mail.kde.org,
> especially if the KDE community has any worth to you.
>

>>Any active KDE developers here?  Could you please get these checked-in
>>so it can be in KDE 3.2?  RH/Fedora will not apply this change, and we
>>will only have it if upstream applies it.  Please confirm in a reply
>>when it has been submitted.
>

> This is a good policy. Check the current 3.2 configuration, I think has what
> you want. If not, tell me what you need and I'll get kde-usability to discuss
> it.

I would please ask that you check this yourself, as I have far too many
other things to work on.  Please report back your findings.

Warren