initscripts: Can it restart a service automatically if one crashes?

Steve Bergman steve at rueb.com
Mon Dec 29 14:20:48 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-29 at 03:10, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> I my experience, a crashing app *will* crash again. Doing an autorestart
> cycle is a sure way to kill a server *and* obscure history enough you
> won't be able to say why it crashed in the first place.

He says its a third party application.  He may not have a lot of
options.  Depending on what else is running, if anything, an app crash
may be equivalent to a server crash, not that it's that easy to bring
down a linux box.

The app could be launched from inittab.  And if it keeps dying
immediately, init will handle that situation automatically by disabling
it.