feedback and request for help with x86_64 preview

Tue Dec 30 09:01:42 UTC 2003

Le mar 30/12/2003 à 09:35, Warren Togami a écrit :
> Tony Grant wrote:
> > Le mar 30/12/2003 à 09:01, Warren Togami a écrit :
> >

> >>1) Most of the time my USB keyboard is completely unable to function
> >>during post in order to get into the BIOS menu, or to choose settings in
> >>GRUB.  Setting Legacy USB options in the BIOS seems to not help the
> >>situation.  Sometimes the USB keyboard inexplicably works, then after a
> >>reboot it doesn't.
> >

> > Interesting. My Epia M10000 has exactly the same symptoms. Same bad VIA
> > chipset???
> >

> There could be any number of other factors, not necessarily limited to VIA.

Sheesh. I know for a fact that on my MSI KT400-based board the USB
keyboard will *not* be hard reseted on reboot or even reset. Direct
result -> USB keyboard is dead if the OS hangs before gracefully
resetting it in the shutdown sequence (or if you use an OS unaware of
this fact, like linux 2.5 was before I bugged the USB maintainer).

On this kind of board you have to teach BIOS magic to your kernel or
systematically cold restart. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the hack
that was put in 2.6 only worked on semi-standard x86, and not on exotic
hardware like the Epia or x86_64.

Either way the guy who okayed this partial reset sequence should be shot
- with the power button taken over by acpi nowadays you'd better have a
readily accessible PSU switch or you'll end up yanking the power cord
every single time your OS does not do the software resetting for the
BIOS (as in Windows crashing, which should be a mainstream problem
MSI/VIA should care about).

Cheers,

--
Nicolas Mailhot