I was wondering why APIC is disabled in the 2.6 kernel rawhide

Stan Bubrouski stan at ccs.neu.edu
Tue Dec 30 17:12:18 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-30 at 03:07, Warren Togami wrote:
> Kristof vansant wrote:
> > is (APIC) unstable like preemptive or what?
> >

> Are you referring to APIC with the uniprocessor kernel?  APIC is
> disabled because it tends to cause major problems with many uniprocessor
> machines, including many laptops.
>
> Warren

Seems to work well on Dell OptiPlex (desktops) systems with A7 bios or
later.  I've only used APIC with 2.6 but it seems to be trucking along
rather nicely, even on this 3+ y/o system I'm typing this from.  But as
Warren said it has major problems on many laptops, relating to poor BIOS
implementations and incompatibilities with power management interfaces,
so it should remain off by default.

-sb