Proposal: rpm-4.2.2 should refuse to build as root

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Wed Dec 31 15:09:39 UTC 2003

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003, Chris Ricker wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Dec 2003, Warren Togami wrote:
>
> > Proposal
> > ========
> > rpm-4.2.2 in rawhide and all future versions should refuse to install
> > SRPMS & build packages as root by default.  Optionally add a .rpmmacro
> > option to re-enable it, but only mention that option for advanced users
> > on rpm.org to really discourage its use.
>
> I disagree. Save your personal policy decisions for yourself -- don't make
> them everyone's.

Building rpm's as root IS incredibly bad idea which should be discouraged.
Even worse when no buildroot is used - once you've seen a package
which (re)moves stuff in /usr/lib during build...

I very much agree with Warrens proposal to simply disallow rpmbuild as
root. Even more, I'd like to see rpm *require* use of buildroot.

	- Panu -