initscripts: Can it restart a service automatically if onecrashes?

Erik LaBianca erik at totalcirculation.com
Wed Dec 31 20:44:21 UTC 2003

> erik at totalcirculation.com ("Erik LaBianca") writes:
>
> > Another possibility is to use daemontools...
>
> Indeed, they are very usefully. But unfortunately, they are
> not free software (like all the other djb stuff) and can not
> be distributed therefore.

Are you sure daemontools isn't public domain?

This is all I see:

[erik at mises BUILD]$ head -1 daemontools/src/alloc.c
/* Public domain. */

I've heard tell that djb doesn't like binary redistribution of patched
binaries, but I don't see anything about it in the current daemontools
distro. He also has a treatise[1] about how he declaring code to be in
the public domain effectively relinquishes copyright. He does have a
redistribution page indidicating he doesn't want anyone to ship versions
of his software installed in a "non-standard" location, however [2].

Anyway, it looks like there may be some other replacements that might be
suitable alternative. It sure would be nice to have a simpler (read not
sysvinit) way to add "services" to a fedora system included with the
distro.

1. http://cr.yp.to/publicdomain.html

2. http://cr.yp.to/distributors.html

--erik