AN IDEA FOR A BIG PROJECT!

Mark Mielke mark at mark.mielke.cc
Tue Jul 22 09:41:21 UTC 2003

So, euler, you want everybody to install uml, and make their uml
installation available to the public.

It's a neat idea, but it wouldn't work for a few reasons:

    1) It is almost impossible to ensure that the protected area has
       no influence on the main machine. Performance will suffer,
       available memory will be reduced, or disk space will be used up.

    2) If packets can get in to this 'special area', and they can get back
       out, then they must be getting past the firewall configurations
       that people have erected to keep the bad people out. How do you
       tell good testers from malicious or disrespectful testers?

    3) The product isn't being tested on a real kernel. It is being tested
       in a protected area that does not match real world conditions, and
       does not talk to real hardware. (If it talked to real hardware,
       point (1) would become more significant)

The approach that has impressed me, is companies such as IBM offering
time share on test machines to reknowned open source developers, and
in some cases, even to merely curious open source developers.

mark