Is linux a plug and play OS?

Scott Becker scottb at bxwa.com
Wed Jul 23 18:47:40 UTC 2003

Several times I've had difficultys bringing up eth0 after an OS install
and found that setting "Plug and play OS" to "no" in the bios setup
would cause Kudzu to find the nic and everything worked. This helped
with 3 diffenent nics, including a 3c905c with rh9 and a sound card.

Is far as I can tell the bios was assigning an IRQ and/or IO address
after I made the change so that the device was ready for linux (kudzu)
to use. Does linux normally handle this or does the bios need to set
this way normally?
    Scott Becker