Diskless workstations

Paul Iadonisi pri.rhl1 at iadonisi.to
Thu Jul 24 04:39:52 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 20:28, Stephen Smoogen wrote:
> No we do everything via NFS at the moment. Using a big ramdisk would cut
> into why all the machines have so much memory and CPU's. Basically the
> idea is that all CPU cycles are local and all data is foreign. The
> approach to this seems to follow either SGI or Sun ways of doing
> diskless clients. I like the Sun way of doing it (with each client
> getting its own tree) versus the SGI where most is common with the
> server and clients need a rebuild if server code changes.

  Okay, I give. ;-)

  Looks like it's a lot lest complicated than I was thinking, but I get
your point about it being a bit of pain to set up.  It would be nice to
be able to do this OOB.

  Anyhow, all I wrote is still something I might do if there is enough
interest.  Maybe I'll look at what you need, too, and since they are
somewhat related.  (sorta, kinda, maybe...)

--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator