my thoughts on package management

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Thu Jul 24 23:09:20 UTC 2003

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Another kind of bias is that people only complain about what they
> don't like, very few people ever praise what they do like.
>
> That is if you have 100 people who like it how it is and 10 people who
> don't, you'll get 10 complaints and 1 praise, which looks like a 10-1
> vote for changing it.
>
> You find out the reality when you change it and suddenly get 100
> complaints and 0 praise. ;-)
>
> Anyway, this is why you really have to understand the goals and
> rationale for why the software is how it is, otherwise you sort of
> just keep changing it back and forth in response to complaints.

I was actually thinking about this last night when I ran across a "praise
bug" in bugzilla. The problem is that there's no real place for praise ;-).
There's bugzilla for logging all the "this sucks" stuff, but there's no
similar constant surveying / tracking of what people like.... Maybe it would
be a good idea to catalog periodically?

later,
chris